Fall is right around the corner. It even seems to be cooling down a little bit here in Florida but maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part. Either way, I’m in a baking mood and I’m craving caramel! This Rhubarb Cake with Vanilla Caramel Sauce is delicious and easy to make.
Annie B’s Rhubarb Cake with Vanilla Caramel Sauce Recipe
Makes 9 inch square cake with approx. 1 cup of sauce.
For the cake:
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
For the streusel topping:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
For the caramel vanilla sauce:
4 ounces Annie B’s baking caramel (1/4 block)
1/2 cup evaporated milk or half & half
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until moistened.
4. Fold in the rhubarb. Pour into a greased 9-inch square baking dish.
5. Combine the streusel ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over batter.
6. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
7. For sauce, melt caramel and milk in a saucepan over low heat until melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Drizzle over cake squares, serve warm.
Tips: If you don’t have buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. Let set for a 5 minutes and use in place of the buttermilk. If you only have an 8 inch square dish, increase the baking time and check every 5-10 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
Annie B’s individually wrapped everyday caramels in peppermint and pumpkin spice will also liven up all fall festivities! Each case features 120 caramels, perfect for sprinkling on the tables at your autumn soiree.